-Governor Udom Emmanuel’s SA on Youth Matters has questions to answer – aggrieved youths
The recent break down of law and order by rampaging youths in Uyo has been linked to Governor Udom Emmanuel’s ₦4million largesse to the youths and and #EndSARS protesters.
Morenews.ng gathered that the controversial ₦4 million was supposed to be shared among the protesters and some youth leaders in the state but was allegedly embezzled by some aides to Governor Udom, especially the one on Youth Matters, who took custody of the money.
Recall that one of the organizers of the EndSARS protest in Uyo last week, Mr Kufre Carter, had come out to confess his role and how he was given ₦500,000 out of the ₦4 million by the governor.
Carter who is an On Air Personality in a certain Radio station in the state had earlier denied collecting the money but came out to confess when pressure was mounted by some youths who believed that he had collected the ₦4 million on their behalf.
According to Carter’s account ₦2 million was meant for “Uyo Youth” while ₦2 million naira was to be shared among the organisers of the protest whom he is one of.
Carter said he was given ₦500,000 with specific instruction on how to disburse the money to others involved.
Another youth who pleaded anonymity alleged that Carter did not share the ₦500,000 to the people involved in the protest and that some youths were very angry as Mr Carter absconded with the money and only appeared few days after to post his confession after denying collecting the money.
The source who is one of the aggrieved youths also alleged that Governor Udom’s SA did not also share the money to those “Uyo Youths“ he claimed the ₦2 million was meant for.
He said hearing that the governor gave money to the youths but was embezzled by some SAs and others angered the youths who went into the streets to expressed their grievances.
“See, the Governor should ask his SA on Youth Matter. A lot of us are not happy, all of us worked for this government during the elections last year and since then we have not gotten anything from the governor, only few youths are benefitting.
“We are not EndSARS protesters, but we are concerned about the money given to the youths by the governor. That money was not for protesters, it was for the youths who worked for the governor. We are Uyo youths. This is our town,” he claimed.
Ask who they are and how they work for the Governor Udom, the source said, “Leave the matter”.
Another youth who also spoke with Morenews.ng confirmed that the youths are not happy, noting that they need their share.
“The SA to the Governor on Youth Matters has never addressed us on this matter, he never said anything about the money or does he think we are fools?
“We cannot be used and dumped while few persons are bendfitting. We all worked for the governor and we also deserve the benefit. This is our town, we cannot be treated like slaves.,” one source remarked.
It was also gathered that the recent violence was complicated as some believed that the incidence may not unconnected with the recent proscription of some secret cult groups in the state by the state government.
Morenews undercover revealed that some of the proscribed secret cult groups have been in loggerhead with their counterparts who were not in the list of outlawed group and was looking for opportunity to vent their anger and grievances.
One source observed that the boys who protested might be making some statements to government.
According to the source, they must have been some prominent politicians who are aggrieved too by the governor’s actions and are given the youths the impetus to express their anger.
He dismissed completely the notion that Thursday’s looting and vandalisastion of both public and private infrastructure was carried out by the EndSARS protesters.
“The inciddnce has nothing to do with the protest in Uyo, only that the boys were hiding under the peaceful protest to commit the havoc,” he said.
Meanwhile, Governor Udom Emmanuel has said that the rampaging youths who burnt facilities in Uyo are not from Akwa Ibom State while calling on Akwa Ibomites to rise up and defend their state.
The governor has also extended the curfew imposed in the state till Saturday, 24th October, 2020 as part of efforts to restore peace and order.