As the week (18/10/2020 to 24/10/2020) draws to a close, we present to you some of the top stories that trended this week. The week has been rife with stories of the End SARS protests which turned into a bloody affair in Lekki on Tuesday when video evidence showed men believed to be from the Nigerian Army open fire on protesters.
The peaceful protest has since been hijacked by hoodlums who went on a looting spree. The also the Covid-19 palliatives meant for Nigerians were allegedly hoarded in several states and Nigerians have since gone on a looting spree in Lagos, Cross River, Osun, Kwara and search is still on-going in other states. Here are the links to some of these top stories:
1. Ultimate Search: Nigerians in rampaging hunt for hidden COVID-19 palliative warehouses
Nigerians are rummaging around the country in search of warehouses where COVID-19 palliatives are allegedly hoarded. Read more here
2. Attack: De Choice Mall, Access Bank Uyo set ablaze by hoodlums
De Choice Mall and Access Bank were set ablaze by hoodlums in Uyo during the heat of the End SARS protest. Read the full story here.
3. End SARS: 27 points to note in Buhari’s address to Nigerians as President keeps mum on Lagos massacre
Here are some 27 points in President Buhari’s End SARS Speech that you need to read here.
4. The President’s speech: Okorocha’s loyalist takes Buhari to cleaner
The President’s speech shows that he feels his administration has done so much for the youths, that there is absolutely no basis for the loud disaffections. Read more.
5. Arise TV and the quality of people in your circle
For all the chaos and anarchy that currently pervades the land, Arise TV seems to be the poster boy of the resistance of young Nigerians to the establishment and one of the biggest winners from this protest. Read here.
6. Nigerian Youth Congress condemns hooliganism in Akwa Ibom State
The Youth body said that the peaceful protest is no longer inspiring, and the disturbing incidents of vandalism, chaos, attacks on government and private owned properties are carried out by some hoodlums in the guise of #ENDSARS protesters to thwart and distract the meaningful youths of the nation from the protest. Read more here.
7. Tinubu fingered in Lagos massacre as Sanwo-olu orders investigation
Former Lagos State Governor, Bola Ahmed Tinubu was accused of ordering the soldiers to shoot at peaceful and harmless young EndSARS protesters at Lekki Toll Gate Tuesday night. Read more.
8. NSCDC officers attack journalist over refusal to bribe PHED officials for ‘distributing darkness’
It was reported how NSCDC officers attacked a journalist over refusal to bribe PHED officials for ‘distributing darkness. Read more.
9. Hooliganism: Akwa Ibom State University suspends academic activities
Akwa Ibom State University suspends academic activities as a result of… read more:
10. Boko Haram abducts travelers along Maiduguri-Damaturu Road
Some travelers who plied Maiduguri-Damaturu Road this week were reportedly abducted by the dreaded Boko Haram and ISWAP group. Read more.
11. Blood-bath in Nigeria as 49 EndSARS protesters murdered
Violence that rocked #EndSARS protests across the country worsened on Tuesday with 43 protesters and six policemen losing their lives. Read more.
12. PDP to Buhari: stop killing #EndSARS protesters
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has cautioned President Muhammadu Buhari to stop killing #EndSARS protesters witnessed recently in some parts of the country. Read more